There are three ice surfaces inside the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre:
- Thunderbird Arena: This stadium arena has 5,033 permanent seats and can house up to 7,000 people for special events including: concerts, sporting events, conventions, speakers, film shoots and hockey related programs. This venue is the home of UBC Thunderbirds and is accessible for sledge hockey.
- Father David Bauer Arena & Protrans Arena: Both arenas are primarily used for hockey related programs including: ice hockey, learn to skate programs, hockey school, instructional programs (for youth, students, staff, the university community, adults and seniors). Father Bauer Arena has 900 permanent seats.
The venue also features: 6,000 sq ft multi-purpose room, a 5,000 sq ft high performance training centre, 13 dressing rooms, and 6 referee/coaches rooms.
THUNDERBIRD ARENA FEATURES:
- Total capacity – 7,000 with 5,033 permanent seats and an additional 1,967 floor seats
- Ice surface – 17,000 sq ft (200 feet x 85 feet) (capable to increase to Olympic Size if required)
- Ceiling Height – Ice to Low steel (50 feet)
- On the concourse level there are two open space areas on the East (4,069 sq ft) and West (3,186 sq ft) end of the arena
- In house rolling stage can be any size up to 60 feet wide x 48 feet deep adjustable height (48” to 78”)
- 16 feet x 24 feet adjustable Height (16” to 24”) Mix Platform
- Black skirting for stage and Mix Platform & wall to wall house blacks
- 1,800 interlocking chairs & 4 in-house spot lights
- 5,000 lb forklift with 8 feet fork extensions & covered loading dock with levelers
- Full service concession areas for delegates
STORAGE / PRODUCTION / VIP RECEPTION ROOM:
- 4 Dressing rooms each with washrooms and showers – connected to two of the dressing rooms is a 13 ft x 18 ft office/storage space
- 6,500 sq ft mezzanine level space
- 1,600 space parkade directly across the street from the venue (Thunderbird Parkade) & another 1,000 space parkade a few minutes North of the venue
- 350 surface lot spots directly behind it (B1) plus street meter parking all around the venue
VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC TRAINING FACILITY
The Doug Mitchell Centre is proud to be the home of the Vancouver Whitecaps FC Training Facility.
- 4,100 sq ft high performance training facility
- Fully equipped team dressing room
- Ample office and meeting space
- Full showers and washrooms
- Large medical room
SMITH & LAYCOE VARSITY WEIGHT ROOM
The Doug Mitchell Centre is also home of the UBC Thunderbird varsity weight room.
- 4,000 square foot high performance training facility
- 4 -15m sprint lanes with resistance harnesses and battle ropes
- 2 Dumbbell Sets: 5-150lbs & 2-110lbs
- 15 Spin Bikes
- 2 Hammer Strength Olympic Benches
- Integrated Audio/Video System