Thunderbird Stadium is an open-air, artificial turf stadium used primarily for soccer, football, and rugby. The stadium opened on October 7, 1967 and can seat 3,500 in the main grandstand. By using the surrounding grass embankment the facility can accommodate up to 12,000 spectators. In 2017, the UBC Homecoming game between the Thunderbirds and the Saskatchewan Huskies had the top football attendance, estimated over 10,000.
The facility is also used for Canadian Rugby international matches and the B.C. High School Football Championships. The facility was previously used for cultural events and rock festivals. It has hosted Ozzfest, Lilith Fair, Lollapalooza, Area: One Festival, Another Roadside Attraction, Vans Warped Tour and the UBC Arts County Fair. Thunderbird Stadium is also a popular location for film and commercial shoots.
Prices in effect until March 31, 2022. Prices do not include GST. Rentals of 10 hours or more will qualify for the day rate. Additional hours will be applied to rentals over 10 hours
UBC Student Rate
$205.00 / hour
$184.50 / hour
$6,500.00 / day
- 3,500 (under cover)
- Grass seating on west side of field for up to 5,000 patrons
Scoreboard, Lighting & PA System
- Field lights to make it TV quality – 50 high pressure sodium 1000w bulbs
- 50 metal halide 1500 w bulbs
- Scoreboard set for Football, Rugby and Soccer with backlit advertising panels
- PA for game announcements and remote microphone for field
- Team washroom and shower areas
- Training room with ice machine and cold tubs
- Laundry room with industrial equipment
- Statistician room and 2 spotters booths for coaches
- Scoreboard controller and Public announcers room
- Media Booth
- 4 Box Office wickets
- Concession with fridge and adequate power for popcorn maker, hot dog equipment, microwave etc.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Total surface area: 150m long by 74.5m wide
Serves as a meeting room for the Varsity football team and converts into a social room for half time and post game gatherings.
This area is 60 ft x 30 ft and is also used for hosting meetings by outside groups; it has a capacity of 80 people seated.
A concrete area adjacent to the Stadium entrance that is used for parking on a daily basis. This area also serves as an area for tailgate parties, BBQs and also as a starting and finish point for many bike and running events. This area can accommodate up to 2,000 people.
UBC Football Academic Centre
Opened October 2015, the learning centre provides a space for Varsity football athletes to focus as much on their academics as they do on their sport. The 1,800 square foot facility was built as part of the UBC’s alumni engagement campaign and the 13th Man Foundation. This facility will aid in the development of the varsity football athletics program for future recruitment and sustaining long-term athletic and academic performance.
- UBC Parking is a pay by plate system. There is street parking along East Mall. The closest parkade is Thunderbird Parkade and is a 10 minute walk. Visit UBC Parking for more information.
Coordinator, Thunderbird Park & Stadium Operations