Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre
There are three arenas inside the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre: Thunderbird Arena, Father David Bauer Arena, and the Protrans Arena.
The venue also features:
- 6,000 sq ft multi-purpose room
- 5,000 sq ft high performance training centre
- 13 dressing rooms
- 6 referee / coaches rooms
This stadium arena has 5,004 permanent seats and can hold up to 7,000 people for special events including concerts, sporting events, conventions, speakers, film shoots and hockey related programs. This venue is the home of UBC Thunderbirds and is accessible for sledge hockey.
Father David Bauer Arena & Protrans Arena
The Father David Bauer Arena and the Protrans Arena are both primarily used for hockey related programs including ice hockey, learn to skate programs, hockey school, and instructional programs (for youth, students, staff, the university community, adults and seniors). Father Bauer Arena has 900 permanent seats.
Prices in effect until March 31, 2022. Prices do not include GST. There is a minimum rental time of 1.25 hours.
Rate / Hr
May - Aug
Sep - Apr
Prime Time Weekend
(8:00 AM - 10:00 PM Sat, Sun & Stat Holiday)
Prime Time Weekday
Non-Prime Time Weekday
(8:00 AM - 4:00 PM Mon-Fri)
Non-Prime Time Late/Early
You can also call 604.827.5928 for any ice bookings.
- Total capacity Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre – 7,000; 5,004 permanent seats and an additional 1,500 floor seats, or 2,000 standing room
- Ice surface – 17,000 sq ft (200 feet x 85 feet) (capable to increase to Olympic Size if required)
- Ceiling Height – Ice to Low steel (50 feet)
- On the concourse level there are two open space areas on the East (4,069 sq ft) and West (3,186 sq ft) end of the arena
- Total capacity Father Bauer – 900 seats
- In house rolling stage can be any size up to 60 feet wide x 48 feet deep adjustable height (48” to 78”)
- 16 feet x 24 feet adjustable Height (16” to 24”) Mix Platform
- Black skirting for stage and Mix Platform & wall to wall house blacks
- 1,800 interlocking chairs; 4 in-house spot lights
- 5,000 lb forklift with 8 feet fork extensions & covered loading dock with levelers
- Full service concession areas for delegates
Storage / Production / VIP Reception Room
- 4 Dressing rooms each with washrooms and showers – connected to two of the dressing rooms is a 13 ft x 18 ft office / storage space
- 6,500 sq ft mezzanine level space
Smith & Laycoe Varsity Weight Room
The Doug Mitchell Centre is also home of the UBC Thunderbird varsity weight room which contains:
- 4,000 square foot high performance training facility
- 4 x 15m sprint lanes with resistance harnesses and battle ropes
- 2 dumbbell sets: 5-150 lbs & 2-110 lbs
- 15 Spin Bikes
- 2 Hammer Strength Olympic benches
- Integrated audio / video system
- 1,600 space parkade directly across the street from the venue (Thunderbird Parkade) & another 1,000 space parkade a few minutes North of the venue
- 350 surface lot spots directly behind it (B1) plus street meter parking all around the venue
- UBC is a pay by plate system. Visit UBC Parking for more information.
Hours of Operation
Hours listed are when staff are available to contact by phone and email. Access to facility is by appointment-only due to COVID-19.
- Mon – Fri: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Sat – Sun: Closed
- Stat Holidays: Closed
All dates/times subject to change
Lessons & Programs
Visit the UBC Recreation website for hockey and skating programming.
Upcoming Concerts & Events
Visit the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre website for concerts and events.